Friday, January 16, 2015

Nesy


Nesy
(Literary discovery)
You must have noticed her. She often sits in the yard of the Lomisy st. George church, in Gldany. Even if she never had that short skirt on, you would sit beside her and tell her: “I must have met you somewhere”, she would smile (her back teeth rotten), put her hand on your knee and tell you that you were a scoundrel. Then you would eat some popcorn and when you get tired of talking you would go to her place. She lives in Gldany, in a rented room which is often visited by guests like you. On entering the room (for the first time) you’re surprised to see a man lying on the bed, but the man leaves silently. If you stay there for the night, you’ll hear him sneak into a tiny kitchen and sleep on the sofa. You may ask Nesy who he is and she’ll reply: My ex-lover!
Then you learn that once he was on addict, then he gave up drugs and became alcoholist an alcoholic. But the condition of his liver is so bad that he spits blood. He has gone lame in a car accident and has got a wooden or plastic leg.
When Nesy’s speaking about all these, you think she’s complaining. You reach for your trousers, take some money out and put on the bedside. She looks at you with a really crossed face. – Pick them up! – she says and get up “I’m leaving, you can stay if you wish!” You don’t stay of course, and she goes to work.
Nesy works in a booth. She’s paid four laris[1] a day, but she earns up to eight. The owner of the shop is content as she has many clients. Though, to be on the safe side. But at the end of the day he threatens to kick her out, just to ensure she stays loyal (but the aim of the threat is clear to Nesy and she listens the humiliating words silently).
The eight laris are not enough – she has to take care of the lame, his old aunt, herself and few others like you, who ask money from her. But in spite of all this, Nesy never takes money for love.
And maybe that’s why we are so many. Girls like Nesy are so boring, for she’s not so active in bed. She is sleepy: the very moment she lies beside you she falls asleep so soon that you think she is ill. If you know her well enough you may feel sorry for her and won’t wake her up. If not – you’ll nudge her, lie over her once more and if you’re also a little hot-tempered you’ll make her talk all the time. And she’ll talk, maybe nonsense, but still she’ll talk and then you’ll fall asleep.
Very early in the morning Nesy’s gone. There’s a letter on the beside for you: “You’re wonderful” and she’s gone. You’ll be pleased (if you don’t know that she tells this to everybody) and look around with pride. At first a cruel thought may cross your mind and you may turn the room upside down looking for a valuable thing, but you’ll never repeat such a thing, on the contrary you may put some money in a corner and leave. But one thing is inevitable – you’ll love this bed.
Though it is an ordinary bed. An old iron bed, with springs and there is not even a mattress on it.


A Pause
I had no intention to write this passage until the very last moment, when a friend of mine – Sofiko told me the truth straight to my face. But still I’ll try to be less frank:
So, my illness began (I can’t quite call it an illness, my psychologist calls it nervous breakdown) about two years ago, when I was given the shoes. The shoes were quite good (I still keep them as a proof) made in the west Europe by some well-known firm. It was worn a little, and though it was in a pretty good condition, there still was one thing that had been hurting my feet for two or three months (until I had got used to them). Previous owner of the shoes wore the heels out from inside; as for me I wear them out from outside. This was what had hurt my feet, and in addition to the fact that I began to wear heels out from inside, some other changes took place within me.
Change I: - my nose was bent to the left, now it is bent to the right.
Change II: - my face and body acquired rounded forms, I often spit.
Change III: - I used to sit on the left side in a taxi, now I sit on the right side.
Change IV: - it gives me much pleasure to get dirty and then bathe. Sometimes I go to the yard, roll in the mud and then bathe.
Change V: - Mother became cleaner to me than Father. I try not to think about him, as if he were invented…
Change VI: - I began to pray to the womanly icons.
Change VII and the most important: - I’ll speak about it in details.
I used to be very particular about food (and women as well) but such an attitude towards the fair sex has changed in a strange way. I get excited just by the sight at a woman, even dirty and ugly, wearing good clothes and jewelry, driving a good car: and I’m excited until I cease watching her or until I satisfy my desire. This change resulted in the fact that I partially broke up with my old partners and began to look for new sexual objects. In addition to all these I discovered that the matter turns out to be more spiritual than I considered it to be, and everything sublime, even Art is fictitious and nonentity, for the artists are the most materialists of all.
What is the truth than? – The truth is what your mind can reach, or that, what is true for your mind, as the truth is made up by someone else’s mind. So, I decided to give up cheapest and masked form of materialism: writing, and earn money in some other way. I discovered that a scientific mind is much more sound than a mystically and transcendentally working brain. Even the religion can’t ignore the matter, for our ideology – the ideology of the earth, can’t reach the super sensual without images. Accordingly, men created sacred images in order to stealthily worship the matter, or because the sacred image is the materialistic manifestation of the God. So, the conclusion is that mater (lat. mother) ialistic and idealistic ideologies are the same, and the both aren’t higher than an ordinary apple tree.
My mini dossier.
I was born in the year of the Aries (Ram) on the 25th of June, in Tbilisi. I haven’t had any serious trauma in my childhood. I am the only son in my family. I study finances at the University.
According to my psychologist I have the last phase of the megalomania. I’m prone to the suicidal act, alcohol, drugs. I have sharpened desire of getting pleasure. I am highly emotional.
So, this is the passage I didn’t want to write.


Part II
An old friend of mine – Valeri called at me when I was hanging about in the street spitting, talking about cars and women and dreaming of being rich. We had some beer and vodka and as we grew drunk we longed for women. Valeri said he knew one who would give it to us without any problem and even give us some money if we asked.
– But I think you won’t find her very attractive, she isn’t so…
I said I’d sleep even with a monster if he gave me money and we set off. The door was opened by a lame who showed us in. As we sat down Nesy appeared. She was a little thin girl, about twenty-two years old. She had so much make up on her face, that I couldn’t make out whether she was ugly or not. So, I signed to Valeri she would do.
Valeri introduced me to them; he told the lame I had to talk over with Nesy. He turned to Nesy and asked: “When shall I come back?” Nesy looked at me.
       In about two hours, I think!.. – I said and looked at Valeri standing in the door.
       I’ll park the car! – He said and left.
When he was back I already knew her quite well. Then I waited for him.
When they came out Valeri asked her how did she like me. Nesy said she liked me very much.
       You always do! – smiled Valeri.
       Then why do you ask? – Nesy smiled too and left the room to make coffee.
       Hey, Val, who’s that lame?
       Nobody, Nesy keeps him.
       Isn’t he her husband?
       I don’t know. Maybe he is. She says he isn’t. He has no problems… Did you like her?
       No… but…
       Nesy came back.
       Nesy do you still work?
       Yes, at night.
       The same place?
       No, now I’m around here, near the underground.
       Are you going to move out?
       From the flat?
       Yes.
       I don’t want to… if the neighbors won’t lodge a complaint against me…
       What do they want?
       They don’t like my guests…
       Phone me if you move out, O.K.? Do you have my number?
       Yes.
       Phone me!..
       O.K. but I’m not going anywhere yet.
       Here… Gurami likes you, he’ll come sometimes.
       Really? I’m very glad!
Before leaving Valeri borrowed from her two laris for the petrol and we left.
       She has given me about hundred laris in this way… and she never asks them back!... She’s so silly, but she’s so kind! She’s a whore, but she’s kind… and she never takes money.
       Give her hundred laris and you’ll se if she won’t take!
       She’s often offered money… not hundreds of course, but she never takes…
       And what about presents?
       Presents?.. maybe… once I bought her a cheap perfume… she was so happy as though it were a “Dior”… And she still keeps remembering it: “The perfume you bought for me”…
       Hey, don’t you think she’s a little crazy?
       I don’t know… why, did you notice anything?
       Bo, nothing. She sucks. Couldn’t she have learnt anything, she has had so many men?!.. She was lying like a dead.
       Yes, she’s like that.
       She’s so young and already so spoiled… She’ll never get married.
       Huh… Do you remember Irakli’s cousin, Kwicha… we once brought him to her. She was his first woman and he fell in love with her! He wanted to marry her!... Thank God, she turned him down herself… He was crazy about her…
       Yes, she can find an asshole like him…
After two or three days I called at. Nesy’s by myself. The lame wasn’t home and she opened the door herself. She was glad to see me. She was eating fried potatoes. I was hungry too, but I couldn’t eat with her and I just sat with her in the kitchen. She ate slowly humming a melody and looking out of the window. I wanted to have a cup of water but I tipped the pan with potatoes over. The potatoes scattered on the floor. Nesy knelt, gathered them on her plate and went on eating. I hated her at the moment and called her names. She didn’t say a word, ate her potatoes in silence, cleared the table and went into the room. After a while I followed her. She was sitting on the floor listening to the radio.
I stripped her. She wouldn’t resist. Then she said she would have a bath.
       You needn’t,-I said,-I want you dirty as you are! She shrugged her shoulders.
       Simply I fell like a virgin after a bath, - she said and lay down. She was humming the same melody. But I didn’t say anything.
She was drying her hair when I woke up. She looked better without make up. Her lips were pale, her eyes – green. She looked like a little girl after a bath. I hugged her.
       Why are you a whore? – I murmured smelling her.
       I’m not a whore… I’m just of this kind!... she would answer.
       You’re a whore! An awful whore… and you don’t take money?!..
       I’m not… I’m just of this kind…
Suddenly I was sorry for her and I hated her because she was really of this kind. I stopped hugging her and undressed her. She was really like a virgin, like a virgin without blood.
       What have you done, did you take an alum bath? I asked and she closed her eyes. I understood she wanted to sleep and let her alone.
While she was sleeping I bought some chocolate and brandy and watched a film. She slept smiling, very quietly. She slept for three hours. At last I got tired and woke her up. I brought her the chocolate and brandy in bed. I thought she would be pleased, but she didn’t express anything.
       Let’s have some brandy.
       I don’t drink alcohol.
       You will!
       O.K. but I may get sick!
She got up. She was frying potatoes when two boys called her from the yard. Nesy went down. I watched her from the window. They talked, then the boys began to argue. I spitted and turned away from the window. Nesy didn’t come back. I went down. The boys and Nesy were gone.
She went with them. I thought and went back. I was awfully insulted by her behavior.  What could I do?
At first I searched for anything valuable in the room. I found nothing. Then I decided to lock the room and leave her homeless. I was about to leave when the lame came.
– Hello, is Nesy home? – he asked, went into the kitchen, ate my potatoes, my chocolate and drank my brandy. This made me go mad. I began to quarrel with him, but he answered me very quietly, went into the room and fell asleep.
I waited for Nesy an hour and then I left. After three days I called at her again. She didn’t hide why she left with the boys:
       What could I do?! They asked me to and I just couldn’t turn them down, and I thought you didn’t want me.
I got into a rage and began to swear at her. She wouldn’t answer. It drove me mad and I hit her. She began crying and ran into the bathroom. In half an hour she cameout and said she was sorry. She had bathed and was like a virgin.
       You’re a whore!
       No, I’m not a whore. I’m just of this kind.
I came to Nesy everyday, sometimes twice a day. I didn’t ask her for money.
I got used to the lame. I slept with Nesy even in his presence. He watched us very as if we were just playing chess.
       After the car accident he’s an impotent – Nesy said.
       Why does he live with you?
       He was my lover, after the car crash he’s unable to work… and he has got an old aunt, we take care of her.
       You take care of her!
       Yes.
       Why does he stay here?
       I have no idea. He stayed one night and after that he stays here every night. But here’s no problem, he’ll go if I ask.
       And do you earn enough to keep this beggar and his aunt?
       His not a beggar, I just help him… I have seven laris a day and we make the both ends meet!
       You are insane!
       Why?!
       Why?!.. you keep a lame impotent and his aunt! What for?!
       Why? Wouldn’t I help you if you asked me?
       Me! It’s not the same. I’m your lover!
       There are many others as well… but I have no problems.
After that day I began to ask her for money. I took from her two or three laris everyday, collected them and bought her flowers and perfume on her birthday. She was overwhelmed.  She placed the flowers in several vases. As for the perfume, she took it on the birthday party of her neighbor the next day. She guessed I was hurt. She apologized and everything was settled. Once I asked her: We never  use condoms. Don’t you get pregnant?
       No, I don’t and I’ll never do.
By and by I got used to eating slowly. We would sit at the table and eat as a slowly as we could, her face a bit funny and very serious at the same time. But she was never active in bed.
Then I discovered a huge scar on her back.
       What is this?
       We were born with this scar, my sister and I.
So, I learnt that she had a twin sister, but:
       We are sisters by father.
       But how? Then you can’t be twins?!
Nesy laughed: – Nobody understands and I won’t explain!
She said her twin sister was a nun and she lived in a convent with her little son.
       The boy is a little mystery of our family. Some time I’ll become a nun too…
Suddenly I realized who she was. I got furious and cried out: How dare you! You are a whore!
I got furious and cried out: How dare you! You are a whore!
       I’m not a whore; I’m just of this kind! – she said very calmly and turned away.
       Listen, Nesy, few years will pass and you’ll become old and ugly.
       I know I’ll grow old. What do you mean?
       You’re a whore. Why don’t you earn money by it? You’ll have enough to live properly and reserve some money for the future. Can’t you use your damned body that won’t last long?! Can’t you rest at night?! And why do you give money to beggars like me?! You’re insane! There’s something wrong with you!
       What can I do? I’m just of this kind.
And I began to investigate why she was “of this kind”. I read lots of books, spoke to lots of people, but I couldn’t get the answer. There were several versions that seemed to me reasonable.
Version I
Psychotherapeutic school “Mencary” I.F.
What is prostitution? It is a well-known fact that a prostitute doesn’t get pleasure from a sexual act. Such degradation of feelings is explained by their “Profession”. This is not right. They become prostitutes because they are frigid. They hate sexual act. They perceive it as a “bad”, “filthy” behavior. They gain inferiority complex. This complex (unconsciously) needs to be satisfied – to be recovered. One of the ways of recovering from it is to ignore it, to prove that she is not inferior; on the contrary she is wanted, beloved.
The version that poverty makes women become prostitutes is very easy to deny. So that it is not even worth of talking about.
Our example is easily explainable: a human being has a certain portion of the inferiority complex + a fear of sexual life. If the inferiority complex predominates the fear, we’ll have women like Nesy. Such a women will have sexual life, but she /they/ will never be content by one partner. But if the fear prevails over the complex such a woman /women/ will never have sexual life…
… As for fears, they usually come from childhood…
Version II
Givi Alaznispireli (esoteric)
I’ll add several words about the features of a body rich in holy soul. Firstly, they are very emotional. They are not earnest (or they try to be), they love joy, laugh, humor, they have exaggerated sense of joy or sorrow. No doubt there is an opposite field of the holy soul in them as well, and this fact accounts for their paradoxical cognition and even subordination, which may turn out to be the way to cognize the truth.
A very important feature of such people is their ability to give something away: money, food, clothes… This ability refers not only to things but to their body as well. It is easy for these women to get naked before strangers. Such a behavior is due to the increased conductivity of the field surrounding her. These women easily adapt themselves to sexual intercourse with strangers – as though it doesn’t matter. They try to get spiritual satisfaction in this way, though very often they can’t achieve it, for it can’t be equal to spiritual satisfaction. In this case sexual intercourse is just an attempt to satisfy their subconscious desires. Poor women, I used to blame them, (though I don’t mean to justify prostitutes).
Version III
My friend’s interview with a (23 years old) girl
       When did you have sexual intercourse for the first time?
       When I was 18. It was summer. A friend of mine acquainted me with a 30 year-old handsome man. And one evening, after a joyride in his car I had sex with him, just from the curiosity.
       What did you feel?
       Nothing but pain. I have never seen that man again. After half a year another friend acquainted me with his neighbor. He was 20. He rented a room in Tbilisi. I fell in love with him. We’d been dating for a year. Then he returned to his home town. I was too hurt and I made a decision to never fall in love. In a couple of months I had sex with his friend! (a pause) I just took vengeance on my ex-boyfriend.
       Didn’t you have it on you conscience?
       No, I didn’t. I was insulted. After few months I got acquainted with a 35-year-old man, married and rich. He gave me a ride… and I … had sex with him.
       How many times did you meet him?
       Three times. He would take me to a restaurant, then we would do it in the car.
       Why do you behave so? Is it for money?
-        No, it’s not money. I just want it so. I’m happy when I’m noticed, regarded as a woman.
       How many men have you had for the last five years?
       About 12. I have normal relationships with all of them.
       Do you feel orgasm?
       No, I never do. I enjoy the process.
       Have you ever had an aged lover?
       Yes, he was 53. I enjoyed being with him.
       Aren’t you sick and tired of doing it in cars or bushes?
       Yes, but I even like it somehow, besides men don’t like to waste money on hotels.
       Have you even thought of getting married?
       I used to think about it… but now I don’t.
       Do you leave men yourself?
       No, they leave me. After getting what they wanted they don’t call me.
Version IV
My psychologist thinks that:
Nesy has got an Electra complex and she tries to sublimate it by prostitution. The existence of the complex is revealed through the fact that Nesy stresses her being “a father’s girl”, besides Nesy has some symptoms of schizophrenia, it is proved by her strange speeches about her twin sister and her, and their being sisters by father (she ignores mother). How can twins have different mothers?!
The fact that Nesy doesn’t take money is very easy to explain: For Nesy every man is her father (i.e. Nesy seeks for father among you, but in vain), she will serve men (father) free of charge, unlike other women (mother).
Version V
An opinion of a man good at numerology
Of course, I can’t be sure that my opinion is right, but Numerology can give a description of Nesy’s way of life, her personality and character. You say that her name is Nesy, and it is made up by herself. Her full name is Nestani. Let’s try do decipher the both names:
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
N
E
S
T
A
N
I
Let’s add the numbers up. It’s 33. If we make it simple, we’ll have 6. “6” is a symbol of harmony, beauty and rhythm. The patron planet is Venus. ‘6’-s are honest, humane creatures. They take great interest in people. They make good public men though family is of the primal importance to them. It’s very pleasant to deal with a “6”. They are reserved, charming and loving, quite pliant, but they may be exasperated as well.
They love perfume, flowers and pretty things. They love guests.
They are idealists, simple and nonegoistic, always eager to come to help. It’s very difficult for them to say “No”.
A “6” would make a good doctor, teacher or nurse.
Now, let’s decipher the other name of hers name:
4
5
9
9
N
E
S
Y
It’s 27, 2+7=9. “9”-s are loving, philosophic, noble and mystic. They patron planet is Neptune.
“9”-s are very sensitive and impressionable, they express love stronger than others. They treat downtrodden, sickmen and oldmen like close relatives, they are sorry for them. So, they are most humane of all. Their goal is universal love, kindness and understanding. Besides, it is worth mentioning that the “9”-s have strange dreams, almost predictive ones.
Not everyone has good relationship with them. Some adore “9”-s, others hate them (it’s more frequent) for their great ability to dispense.
If an unmarried “9” is very easily seduced, it is almost impossible to seduce a married “9”; though they are not ideal wives, for their whole energy is wasted helping others.
“9”-s usually perform jobs helping people, very often they are nuns, teachers, nurses…
Their greatest fault is their absent mindedness and that they waste money. They are very generous and they want money just to satisfy everyday needs and to help others.
So, I have shown you the picture of Nesy’s character now and in the past, i.e. the difference between Nesy and Nestani, which less in the level of dispensation, that has increased.
One more and very important fact is that the patron planet of her full name – Venus is the symbol of sexual delight and marriage. And if this planet appears in her horoscope too, she may start to dispense her favours in physical lifestyle? as well.
Version VI
An amateur astrologist claims
That Nesy just cannot live in other way, because she was born in the year of the sensory Pisces the presence of the planets Venus and Jupiter in her horoscope implies that she is ready to lead sexual life, get delight and dispense as much as she can. Nesy could have been a good nurse or nun…
Version VII
An opinion of the author of the story:
Though the character of my story tells almost sentimental, beautiful fairy tale about an ugly prostitute with poetic soul, whose behavior is regarded as goodness, I think that such an attitude towards these matters is undesirable and a little dangerous as well.
In the beginning Gurami mentions Nesy somewhat ironically, but there was a hidden respect in this irony and this is the origin of tendentiousness. Yes, the estimations of Nesy’s personality, made by people chosen by Gurami are tendentious, I spoke with Gurami about it, and he answered to me rather roughly: - if I lie, then you’re a liar as well, for I’m a product of your mind. He laughed and I realized he had caught me red-handed, he had defeated me with my own ideas. But still I am the author and I have the right to maintain my own opinion (maybe even subjective) about Nesy: Decipher her anyway Nesy is a prostitute. She’s an ordinary prostitute, who maybe doesn’t take money for love, but it is beyond doubt that she is an egoist. As a rule women like Nesy have been “seduced”, they always seem to be “victims’, but of course it is just for show. She is a “victim” just because it is suitable for her to be a victim, because she receives more attention, love and warmth in this way. She will receive and not give back, like Gurami and others (generally in sexual relationships men give out from the physiological point of view)!
During the time such women become fortune tellers or match-makers. They even dare to “victimize” girls and they give them a good deal of theoretical information as well. They are out to complaining, but in fact no one can fit material life better than they do.
They are somehow like thieves and merchants. Do not be impressed by their modest smile and never let them embrace you or you may be suffocated. Nesy and women like her are a little insane, though Gurami don’t seem quite sane either.
The only change in our relationship after the whole investigation was the fact that I began to treat her as if she were ill. In fact she was ill. She drank and ate in her own, strange way. And she chose the icons to pray to in the same way. Her dreams were the most strange of all. I used to write them down and take to my psychologist, which confirmed his versions that Nesy had got an Electra complex.
Here is one of her most impressive dreams: “I see barren earth covered with salt. A man is writing something on it with his finger. He’s smiling. I approach him and tell him that I know him and ask to take me to the church. He stands up and we get going. On entering the church I cry out loudly that this man is the king –m that he is Jesus Christ and I crown him, but the crowd is laughing at me. I’m ashamed, I cry, but I can’t run. Then I wake up”.
My psychologist’s interpretation of the dream is like this: the fact that Nesy sees a man with crown in her dreams confirms my opinion. The man with crown  - The king is the symbol of Father. The earth is the symbol of Nesy’s genitals, herself; the man (father) writes on it (has sexual intercourse) with his-finger (penis). But it doesn’t satisfy Nesy, she tries to live with her father openly (desire to take him to the church), but at the same time she is afraid of it (in this case the crowd’s mockery is the opposition of her own super ego)!
There is also hidden symbol in the fact that she calls the man Jesus Christ - in church Nesy prays to Jesus Christ (father).
So, I was sure that she was ill and I felt responsible to cure her as I had a little knowledge in psychology. First of all I tried to make her tell me everything she remembered from her childhood. It turned out to be very easy as Nesy remembered everything from the times she was 5 months old. I decided to check her memory by hypnotizing her. Nesy fell into hypnotic sleep very easily. I couldn’t manage to get more information than she had already told me. So I tried to remove so called “image of father” on somebody else for her to marry him. Who would I choose? The most suitable candidate was the lame. But Nesy didn’t want to get married.
-    Why don’t you get married?
-    I don’t know! I can’t live with one man only. I must be with everybody or with nobody.
-    I can’t understand why… Can’t you get married and live like a normal woman?
-    No, I can’t, I can’t betray my husband.
-    It’s just the words. You’re already used to prostitution. You may betray your husband but the main thing is not to have sex with so many men, or you’ll catch some disease and…
-    Why don’t you get married?
-    Why hurry?! I’m 21 yet!
-    Is this the reason?
-    Yes! (a pause) O.K. I haven’t met a proper woman yet.
-    What kind of woman do you call “proper”?
-    She must be the most beautiful of all, clever, good at housekeeping. She must love children and… most important – she must be rich!
-    And what do you have?
-    Me?! I’m gifted… I study finance and I’m a potential great businessman, besides… besides I’ve something nobody else has got…
-    And what’s this “something”?
-    I don’t know… but I know there is something in me… I can feel it.
-    You advise me to get married and are likely to remain a bachelor yourself.
-    No, I’m not… and you… can’t you see I’m trying to help you.
-    Help me?... then marry me!
-    No, I can’t. but what about the lame? He’ll make a good husband. Besides you’re used to each other… and he’s never jealous!...
Nesy laughed and we never spoke about it any more. Meanwhile I caught some venereal disease and I avoided seeing Nesy. Here’s how it happened:
I met my classmate’s wife at a party. She was a pretty rich and good natured girl. I turned her head and took her to my uncle’s flat, where I was rewarded with the venereal disease. Nesy was surprised by my disappearance. We met by chance and she said she missed me. When I told her about my problem she laughed and said it had happened to me for my great love of money. Then she made a manganic bath for me, gave me some herbs’ juice made by her granny, kissed my sperm and cured me.
But in a week I gave up visiting Nesy. Simply I was bored, I hated her. But I could find neither a job, nor a rich bride, and I went back to Nesy to spite my anger, grief and material energy out. But I couldn’t find Nesy. She wasn’t at her place.
a) I bought flowers, food and some drinks. Although I hated her I was eager to see her. I looked happy as though I was in love. I pictured in my mind how she would meet me. I wished she was alone. On imagining that she might be with somebody else I was jealous.
-        I’m in love, yes, I am!.. Maybe I won’t marry her, but I’ll never love a woman like this. Oh, Nesy, my poor whore!
If she were out, I would sit on the stairs and wait for her. She would come very tired and she would notice me only when she came very close (she walks with her head down). On seeing me she would startle and cry from happiness. Trembling she would hardly manage to fit the key into the keyhole. We would enter the room and spend amazing minutes together. She would be possessed by passions and would say:
-        I love you, only you and no one else!
I would suggest her to adopt a baby and raise him together. She would be silent. Then I’d say:
-        No, I’m not going to marry you. Let’s just have a baby. I’ll have my own family and you will be with anyone you like – I know, you are “of this kind”!
Nesy would cry and become ugly  but I would still love her – because she was so poor!
So, I went up to fourth floor, knocked and the door was opened by a man. Suddenly I got furious at myself for my sentimental thoughts: she’s a whore, an ordinary whore, even though she doesn’t take money she’s a prostitute! A whore! Angrily pushing the man aside I tried to enter the room.
-        Hey, where are you going? – asked the man a little embarrassed.
-        To worship the Queen! – I bit.
-        Are you crazy, boy?! Who are you?
-        I wanna see Nesy!
-        Who’s Nesy?
-        Who’s Nesy?! The girl who lives here.
-        I live here, boy, there’s no Nesy here!
Meanwhile a fat woman came out wondering what was going on. For a moment I thought I had mixed up the floor. But I hadn’t.
-        Excuse me, I came to Nesy in this flat. She lived with a lame man, boys visited her often.
-        When?...
-        It’s a month since I saw her last.
-        You’re mistaken. I’ve lived in this flat for six years… and there’s no Nesy in the neighborhood either.
The address I remembered was right. I doubted something, handed the flowers and food to the man, and before he realized what I was doing I burst into the room. The flat wasn’t hers, the rooms were different.
The woman began shouting, the man was swearing at me I left the room. It was a horrible day.
b) Valeri called at me and we went to have some beer. I asked him about Nesy. He looked at me with surprise. I said I hadn’t seen her for a month. Valeri thought I was joking.
-        I’m not joking. I want to see her. Does she live in the same flat?
-        Nesy died.
-        Stop joking. I’m serious.
-        I’m serious, too. She died. Didn’t you know?
All the boys are frightened to death. They visit doctors. She’d been ill. Did you use condoms?
-        No, I didn’t.
-        Go to see a doctor as soon as you can!
I went to my uncle’s hospital that very day.
The damned whore!
c) Having failed to find a good job or a rich wife, I decided to go to Nesy’s.
The lame was looking from the window. He recognized me at once and shouted to me to buy a bottle of vodka for him. I got angry and ran up the stairs. The door was open. I went in. There was a terrible smell in the room. Clothes were scattered on the muddy floor. The lame was sitting in the kitchen and smoking.
-        Did you buy me vodka?
Not answering him I went into the bathroom.
-        Where’s Nesy?
-        Nesy?!.. oh, Ne-sy?! Ha-ha, fuck her!
-        What’s the matter?
-        Don’t you know? Huh! She’s gone!
-        But where?
-        Damned prostitute!... Rotten whore!.. She entered a convent!...
-        What?!. A convent?!
-        Yes. I couldn’t believe but it’s true. She sent me a letter telling she was well. She wrote she was sorry for having left me alone. But she promised to help me as much as she could. Imagine… what has she done to me!.. How shall I live now?.. and my aunt?.. what shall I do? – And he began crying.
-        Stop complaining! Here, take it… I’ll come one of these days…– and I put all the money I had on the table – where is she? In which convent?
-        I don’t know! Please, help me, you are my savor!... I knew you where the only man who would take care of me and my aunt…
I hardly managed to get rid of him.
Where would I find Nesy? Which convent would I go to? It was no use looking for her, and I gave up.
-        If you find her tell her she’ll be punished… bring her to me and then… I know.
I turned to him. He was laughing.
He was lame!
d) I bought flowers, food and her favorite perfume. I met friends near her house. I told them I was going to Nesy.
-        Which Nesy? – They asked.
-        She lives on the fourth floor with a lame.
-        Haven’t you heard about her?
-        What?
-        She’s been killed.
I learnt that Nesy had a lover – cop who had a family. His wife was jealous and lodged a complaint against Nesy. She was arrested and put into prison. The boys had visited her in the prison several times. In the prison a woman fell in love with her (she was lame). She had been in prison twice. She was accused of killing a man. She suggested Nesy to marry her. But Nesy ignored her and the prisoner killed her out of jealousy.
-        She stabbed her five times while she was asleep. The whole prison cried. Everybody was sorry for poor Nesy! Nobody even knew where her grave was.
I gave the flowers to a woman in the street, the perfume to a neighbor’s child Nestani.
e) One of these days me and my just married wife and I were going to a birthday party of a friend. We bought flowers and went into a booth to buy champagne. There I saw Nesy. She smiled for a moment, but on seeing my serious face she looked down.
I felt ashamed when we were leaving the booth.
I went back:
-        Nesy how are you? – I asked.
At first she pretended she couldn’t recognize me.
-        Oh, it’s you… I haven’t seen you for ages!... you’ve changed so much! Who’s this pretty girl?.. is she your wife? Have you got children yet?.. what do you do? Have you found any job?..
and so on. – She asked me numerous questions to which I answered very briefly, just “yes” or “No”.
When we left my wife asked me who she was and I said she was my friend’s wife. She said she looked like a whore and cast a suspicious eye on me.
I must be proud of myself – I didn’t even blush!
A Pause
I saw a dream in train: - Crowd ran up and down the street. Then men came out of the crowd and stoned the whore. Then they calmed down and left singing. Women added a stone or two and left. Then, in order not to feel isolated from the crowd, I threw a little stone in her – already dead body and ran away.

VIII and the most important change:
I walk barefoot.



Translated by Nino Makalatia.



[1] Lari » 0.5 Dollars.

No comments: